Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

The Summer I Learned to Dive - Shannon McCrimmon The Summer I learned to Dive was an enjoyable contemporary; a cliched smart girl who never had a social life who just studied at home to get into college discovers a secret her mother kept from her all these years. She found out on the night of her high school graduation. This is where Finn takes off on a journey and finally learns to have confidence in herself and gain independence from her mother.

I personally thought this novel was a fun read, but it was very predictable. The writing was great, the narration also, but I just felt that the storyline was cliched and the romance was just too obvious and fast. The I Love Yous came way too suddenly and their behavior towards each other made it seem like they've been together for ages, not a couple of weeks. Also, the problem in this novel was a bit too simplistic, and that could be mainly because the novel is less than 200 hundred pages. I just hoped I was more emotionally invested because what Finn went through was no easy thing, however the way the shocking revelations were presented sort of deflated the climax of the book.

However I did enjoy the secondary characters, especially the two sisters who work in the same diner as Finn. They definitely felt more alive to me, while Jesse, her love interest, fell flat. Even with saying all of this, I did enjoy the novel, it was a breezy summer novel, even if it was packed with cliches. I'm sure other readers will enjoy this. Maybe ones that are younger than me. This novel has a sequel, which is why it was left open ended, so if you're planning on reading it, be on the lookout for the second novel in this series.