Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover Slammed by Colleen Hoover has solidified the New Adult genre for me as a favorite right now. Slammed was a book that contained so many emotions, struggles, three-dimensional characters, a plot that breaks your heart, and most of all, writing that is so beautiful yet at the same time simple. Slammed comes from the art of poetry called “slam”. Basically it is poetry but so emotional and when one reads it, the hairs on your arm rise and you instantly feel the connection and emotion of the reader. The main protagonist Layken, her mom, and little brother just moved to a new town. There she meets Will and his little brother Caulder, the two kids instantly connect and so does Layken and Will.

However something major occurs in the plot and the stakes get tripled. Don’t try to figure out what the major plot twist is, trust me, it isn’t anything bad or severely heartbreaking, it is what actually causes the plot to be so unique and different from usual contemporary novels. I just felt for both of them so much. Will was just amazing, he had his faults like every other human being, but that’s what makes him so likable. I loved the angst they went through trying to be together and also the love they both showed for their own and each other’s brothers. Slammed is told from Layken’s POV, she is in her last year of high school, and she was such an amazing character. I honestly don’t think I was ever frustrated with any of the characters on Slammed, or even with the progression of the plot!

A couple of weeks later I am still as affected as I was with Slammed when I first finished it. Colleen Hoover is officially a contemporary genius. I can’t say how much I am in love with Slammed. Just thinking about it makes my heart flutter. I recommend it to every single contemporary fan out there with no exceptions!! Pick it up right now, you won't regret it. I finally have added another book to my all time favorites shelf, trust me, it is very rare for that to happen.