Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Sweet Evil - Wendy Higgins 2.5/5 stars

I have to say, Sweet Evil was not my cup of tea. The premise sounded so interesting and the cover was gorgeous but the plot could not hold my attention at all. Sweet Evil is about a girl, Anna who is part demon (Nymph to be more accurate). She lives with her adoptive mother and has only recently found out her father is a Duke demon, and is the Duke of substance abuse. You see, there are dukes for not only the 7 deadly sins, but for many others and all the duke's offsprings carry out their "speciality" in order to corrupt the world. Anna has always had a pull towards drugs and only recently a pull towards Kaidan, the son of the Duke of Lust. The problem is that Nymphs are neither humans nor angles/demons, they are considered the lowest race and only obey their dukes, therefore any form of relationship is forbidden. Which is why Anna lusts over Kai throughout the book, while he also lusts over her but carries on his duties, aka: sleeping around.

I personally did not find the direction of the plot very appealing, I've never been a fan of demons, fallen angels yea, but demons seems to signify something very different. I didn't enjoy the insta-love and how Anna fell in love with Kair in only 4 days (her exact words, not mine). I also wished the "cross-country trip" was actually one, not just a couple of pages long. A main reason why I picked this book out is for the road trip premise, but I was a bit disappointed in that.

I really can not say that the plot is cliche because it really IS unique. The whole dukes and sins and nymphs might be very appealing and fascinating to many readers, however I am not one of them. I usually have problems with books because of their absurd plots or unbelievably crazy ones but Sweet Evil held its ground, I just can't seem to pin point what IS missing. But I got very distracted easily while reading it and at some points had to skip descriptive paragraphs because I just wanted something to happen that might finally hook me. I personally contemplated over the rating of this book because on one hand I can't find anything technically wrong with it but on the other hand it just doesn't appeal to me, so it is a matter of personal preference. However if you are a fan of paranormal books I really do think you should give it a try and judge it for yourself!