Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Cicada - Belle Whittington 2/5 stars

more reviews on Maji Bookshelf blog

Cicada's synopsis was very intriguing. I love books that are about uncovering a secret and also about a group of friends banding together for a cause or goal, so I was pretty excited for Cicada. However while the beginning was enjoyable, I have to say the book dragged a lot. Also the ending was out of the blue and I felt it was a bit too rushed. However, Cicada was enjoyable, it had the potential to be more but in the end it was an enjoyable read.

The beginning of the book felt like it was going to be a summer fun read, especially with the group of friends graduating, the happy, summery feel you get when you are having the time of your life. However then a UFO sighting turns their life upside down and they try to find out what they just saw. The chase to finding the truth began. I personally thought this part took way too long. Almost half of the book was of them trying to find out WHAT they just witnessed, and even till the end, there were so many unanswered questions. I just didn't really enjoy how there was so much build up to what is out there but then we get a simplified explanation and a sad farewell to the graduates and a very confused me. I just hoped the complication was resolved in a better way and in a more interesting and just gave justice to all the chase and anticipation that have been building up through the book. Also, lately I've started having issues with protagonists finding out they are in love with their best friend in the last couple of chapters, and unfortunately this happened in Cicada. I had a feeling it was going in that direction, but I prayed that it wouldn't. So I really did not enjoy the romance.

All in all, while Cicada had a lot of pacing and plot issues, the actual story is intriguing and I really want to know WHAT happens next and who these creatures and people are. I hope the next book in the series has more plot and character development to make it more enjoyable.