Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Across the Universe - Beth Revis 2.5/5 stars

I had such high expectations for Across The Universe, but I'm sad to say that I was disappointed. The synopsis was what pulled me in. A whole spaceship leaving earth and traveling for 300 years to a new planet? scientists, engineering, and military generals, and then we have our young female protagonist, Amy, being frozen and put in that ship for the duration of the trip. Fast forward to 50 years before arrival, someone unplugs Amy and she wakes up; in a SPACESHIP, where people have been living for the past 250 years. I just couldn't wrap this idea in my head, and it just fascinated me.

When Amy wakes up, she feels suffocated, alone, and just plain out disgusted at how the people have been living and pass out as "normal behavior". Sometimes I needed a break from the book because I felt suffocated. How can you live all your life in one enclosed space? no sun, clouds, stars, the beach, the AIR. I shudder thinking about what I would do if I was in her situation. Which is why I pretty much love Amy. She wasn't whiny, she didn't complain, break down, or any of this. She accepted her situation and just went straight to making her "living arrangement" better. She looks at the bright side but without being blinded by it. She is a great protagonist!

I can't say the same thing about Elder. First of all, I hate that name. phew, I finally said it. I've been complaining about his name to my sister ever since I started the book. Secondly, I just didn't like how he NEVER question their leader "Eldest". It was like all the spaceship population, including him just eat up everything he says without questioning. While he does get better, but towards the end, he shocks me with something, and I don't think I'll be able to forgive him.

As for the secrets, lies, and murders. I did not enjoy the murders at all. Since all the characters were introduced I knew instantly who is the murderer. It wasn't fun at all, on the contrary, it pretty much dragged for me. As for the secrets, wow, some of those secrets left me shocked and wide eyed, and some made me smack my head for not seeing it sooner!

All in all, Across The Universe was a slow read for me, while I didn't enjoy the first 3/4 of the book, the last quarter was full of excitement and I was flipping the pages and reading like crazy. I went in thinking this was a dystopian, while it might be, I felt that it was more Sci-Fi than dystopian. I would recommend it to any Sci-Fi / Dystopian fans out there!