Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

The Forsaken - Lisa M. Stasse 4.5/5 stars

You know how all dystopian novels are now labeled the next "Hunger Games"? and you know how every time, the book has nothing to do with HG or just isn't up to its level? Well The Forsaken not only has a total HG vibe, but its unique plot, mystery, characterization, and excellent storytelling mark it as one of my favorite dystopians of 2012!

This dystopian world has two types of people, anchored and unanchored souls. If a person has an unanchored soul when they go through the GPPT test, they are sent to Alpha Island, where everyone runs around and kill each other like savages and the unanchored souls they are. But us readers know thats not the whole truth, a dystopian world isn't one without its lies, schemes, cover ups and power hungry leaders. When the main protagonist, Alenna, is sent to Alpha Island, she gets sucked into turf wars. She ends up on the good side, the other being one where the people do act like savages, wearing masks, killing anything in sight, and worshipping their mysterious monk, hence the given name Drones. Alenna is an orphan, her parents were taken one night and she never saw them. When she gets there, she finds herself discovering something about her parents and joining an expedition, trying to find a way to get out of The Wheel. This is when the excitement begins.

At the beginning, we get a quick romance line between Alenna and a guy on the wheel, however I was glad when the plot refocused on the expedition and trying to survive. This is why the second half of the book was so much more enjoyable than the first. The characters battle drones, machinery, and the harsh weather. I honestly could not put the book down. Also this novel did not go stingy on deaths. She didn't cling to her characters and the unrealistic need to keep them all safe in a place where not many people can stay alive. Lisa also threw at us so many unexpected and shock worthy information. I was gasping every 10 pages towards the end of the novel. Also the characters were always given a choice to do the right or wrong thing and at some points doing the wrong thing is what really needs to be done.

Lisa M. Stasse has captured my attention from the first page of The Forsaken, but what made the book for me was the flowing plot and the narration. The ending is a promise for me but it is free of the massive cliffhangers that break our heart. I honestly can't wait for book #2 and continue on the journey of Alenna!