Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano From the first time I laid eyes on Wither's cover and found out it is a dystopian novel, I couldn't wait to read it. The story was also different from the usual dystopian novel, girls die at the age of 20 and boys at the age of 25. This is why kidnapping girls off the street and forcing them into polygamous marriages is a normal act done by the richer, upper class. The main protagonist, Rhine has always stuck by her twin brother, ever since their parents died. Once Rhine enters the mansion that became her 'home' all thoughts occupying her head were of escape. Rhine was a perfect protagonist, never losing sight to what's dear for her and also never losing hope. She calculates, manipulates, and cleverly uses things to her advantage, she also has an eye for detail and, lets just say, Gabriel, one of her husband, Linden's house servants.

Throughout the book, while I was rooting for Rhine and Gabriel to escape, I couldn't help but feel sympathetic towards Linden. You'll come to see that he's also a prisoner in his own house; by his father, who is feared by the whole household. There were times where I was hoping that somehow Rhine would convince Linden to runaway with them. I also felt sorry for Rhine's sister wives, while they did not have the same motivation or will to escape, they each lost someone or something for this marriage, whether it was a childhood, or siblings. Lauren DeStefano delivered a story that is breathtaking, heartbreaking, and full of hope all packaged with the most beautiful cover i've seen in 2011. I am eagerly awaiting to see what happens in Fever, the second book in the Chemical Gardens Trilogy.