Juhina

Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1) - Laini Tayl=
or I'm scared even saying this but I hated this book. Every blogger i follow and love has given it more than stellar reviews, some even went and boldly said it is their best debut of 2011. But.... it's not for me. I tried enjoying it, and getting into this world of angels and chimaeras but I just couldn't bring myself to care enough to get invested.

When I read the beginning i was very confused, the names, the settings, all are foreign to me. I usually read books set in atleast an english speaking country but i got used to it, and to the weird names. I'm going to be totally honest here and say that i did not appreciate all the details written for everything in the book. It made me sort of detached from the characters. I was also confused, VERY confused. What are chimaeras, brimstone? who is Karou and what's the deal with the teeth? i know ive said before I like mysteries but this just frustrated me. How was I supposed to continue reading a story I did not get AT ALL? But after 100 pages i started enjoying it, really enjoying it. Bits and pieces of the puzzle came together and i was happy, i can just mark this as a slow starting kind of book so everything was good.

Then the flashback. The 60 page flashback that basically ended this book for me. I am NOT a fan of flashbacks, especially if the story could live without it (and believe me this could) but 60 pages? happening exactly after a critical point of the story? I didn't need to know the detailed past life of the protagonist since i've already found out most of these information from Akiva's flashbacks (boy, many flashbacks here) and what I understood from what i've read so far of the present. Yes the flashback did clear up a few unclear points but it didn't need to take 60 long pages.

The ending, i literally gasped out loud at the end. I was devastated since i might not have connected with the protagonist but there was a character i connected with, and it's Brimstone. I have hope that the second book would be less confusing and more bearable to read so I will pick it up (at least to read the synopsis and see what i'll be getting into).